Data plan only SIP Calls via WiFi / 3g?
location: droidmania.com - date: January 26, 2012
I'd like to use SIP calls on 3g / WiFi. I have a home SIP server to register to.
I'd like to ask people who are using 3g data for SIP calls...
- Does SIP work OK on Rogers? I beleive it does, but wanted to ask before commiting dollars.
- What codec are you using? (GSM?)
- Approx data usage rate? I think I read GSM uses approx 500Kb per minute?
- Can I roam anywhere in Canada and it's one monthly data charge? Just I know into the US is extra.
- What phones work seamlessly with the built in Android SIP client?
I've tried lots of phones with SIP / WiFi and found most work to 'some' degree, but there can be some annoyances - like sound not coming out the ear piece or the dialer not working correctly / seamlessly. I'd like to hear what phones people are using and they work without 'issues'.
It seems to me you can run a smart phone on a 'pay as you go' Rogers data scheme, stay under 5GB, and play $35 a month for